Tuesday, June 25, 1985

From Hugh - June 25, 1945

25 June

Dear Dorothy,

In just a little my furlough will be officially over. 2 1/2 hours to be exact.

I went for the trousers this afternoon and took my jacket to have the sleeves shortened.  She said she would fix the jacket today if I came back between 5 & 6 o'clock.  I went to Manchester and changed trousers at the R.C. and put a pr. in the cleaners.  The barber was off so I just sat there a while and then went back to Altvincham.  The trousers were ready so I came right back.  I stopped at the R.C. in Warrington to eat but it was anything I particularly wanted so I came to camp.  I have just come from the R.C. here and am drinking a can of fruit juice.

Donald got my mail for me.  There were two letters from you 16 & 18 June, one from Ruth 14 June and Challengers from 31 May and 7 June.  The letters didn't sound like you were too happy.  Maybe the wrong time.  I can never remember.

It seems like they were getting the schools in Muskogee out of a mess when I went there.  At that time Mr. Cardwell was the one to get it fixed.  That's the way it goes tho.  For that reason I am glad E.K. got out of the schools. That's one thing politics should be kept out but it always gets mixed up somehow.

There is a rumor that they are going to cancel furlough for some reason or other in a little while.  I am glad to get mine before that starts.  Some think there will be a shipment but it may be just to get everything packed up and ready to leave.  I don't see how they can ship many men out before the supplies are taken care of.  I have not gotten to the point to think I can figure out what the Army will do but I can't help having opinions.

I don't know what you would do without your mother to look out for you when you "raise a nasty fuss."  She seems to have done pretty well tho. When I get back I may try a little different experiment by spanking even if you have threatened to "beat the tar" out of me.

Ruth wrote a little news about her family.  They had invited some children from the Baptist orphanage to have a Sunday dinner with them.  I think everyone enjoyed it.  They bought a watermelon, the first they had.

I got the packages off today.  There is one rather mixed up.  It has something from Stratford-on-Avon that I missed sending and the coins from Southern Ireland.  I never did manage to get a complete set of coins.

Mrs. Bell has a lady helping her sew and she thinks it is the most wonderful thing that we have fruit juice every morning for breakfast.  She also thought it awful that I don't eat breakfast.  She asked me how the "wife and baby" are.  I said "She's o.k.".  I am just teasing now.  Someone showed her a picture of a wife and baby and she thought it was me.

I guess I have done enough damage for tonight.  Anyhow I love you.

Love,
Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment