23 July 1945
Dear Dorothy,
There was no mail tonight but from the weekend and the letters I got yesterday I should be able to write.
Saturday I got off at noon and we left here on the 2 o'clock bus. By the time we got there it was almost 5 o'clock. There were too many buses to catch. We had a queue to sweat out for every bus. Saturday we went to the hospital to see Olga and the baby. From 7 to 8 they let fathers in and I just walked around with him and no one said anything. The baby was in the nursery so we had to go there too. They were both fine. The nurses would not let Olga stop the baby from crying and that made her nervous so they took the baby to the nursery.
Before we went to the hospital we ate. We had fresh eggs, sausage and fried ham. It was really good too. I have about learned to like eggs. I had plenty of catsup to put on them.
After we came back we ate again. In fact we spent most of the time eating. Sunday morning we went to church at the Parish church. As usual I tried to keep up with the service in the prayer book and kept busy turning the pages and didn't know where they were half the time. The sermon was good tho. It was about needing God's help in everything we do. The hospital allows Olga to have 2 visitors Sunday afternoon so her father and mother went. It was raining so John and I stayed in. I didn't go back with John Sunday night. The bus queues were so big Sunday night it took me almost 4 hours to get back.
My bunk was still broken up from Saturday and I couldn't get it made up quick enough to read my letters. By then I didn't have much time to write. That was the first mail I had in almost a week.
I can understand why you would be about mad at the author of "I Discover the English." I didn't like her style of writing at all but it was so near the truth I thought it would give you a surprise. It really was a shock to me when I got here and saw how so many of the people live. About all I had heard of was about the nobility etc. Maybe she did chum around with the wrong people but she seemed to learn the truth about the English.
Tonight I put some cement on the floor to stick the rubber matting down and got it all over my hands. It will not wash off but did smear on one of the pages.
From now on we work 5 1/2 days a week. The extra half day comes on a different day each week and every 6 weeks it comes in connection with the regular day off. I don't know why they don't give it with the day off every week. That's G.I.'s, never satisfied. I don't see why we didn't get some more time off in the U.S. while we were there instead of here. They don't seem to have used the fellows for what they were trained for so they could have given us a lot of time off.
Faulconer's wife wrote him she was going to see about buying from the Air Base near them. They may have several things that you cannot get in town. One fellow got a nice watch from our P.X. here today. He signed up for it in April tho. It is so nice I have about decided to sign up for one myself. Don't know why just yet but I'll think of an excuse.
Pag still thinks we will be here a long time yet. Maybe I'll be lucky to be home by Christmas. Sometimes I wonder if even then. Everything moves so slow now but when it gets started it's really fast. Two fellows were transferred from our hangar last week and they went to an ordnance outfit. They are going to the U.S. and then to the Pacific. They get 30 days furlough and 8 weeks training in the U.S. I guess that's not too good tho.
I can understand that you could not digest all of guides etc. of London. I don't think I ever read all of them. By the tine I get there I will have forgotten about all of them. The things I underscored in "Jimmy's" account of London are places I saw.
I knew that the Baptist Church was started by Christ and all that but got mixed up in my letter. I was thinking the course you were talking about was ahistory of the Baptist Church in America.
I guess I'll save the other letters for tomorrow night. The mail is so slow now I probably will not get any mail for a day or two. Anyhow I love you.
Love,
Hugh
No comments:
Post a Comment