8 May
Dear Dorothy,
Although Churchill has not made his talk everyone has started celebrating. We went to work this morning but didn't hurt ourselves and didn't go back after chow. They called while we were gone and said "It's here" or words to that meaning. All but 2 or 3 from our hut started getting ready to go out. They started celebrating last night. The section next to use have a "non-com" club and were having open house last night.
The fellows in our hut found out after 10 oclock but that didn't stop them from going down and getting in on the party.
They came in making such a row they must have woke up the whole area. This morning it did me the most good to go around and wake them up. I had my celebration then. They all had hangovers and swore off drinking but at noon they were ready to go again. I hope they don't come back tonight. We are off tomorrow so they may stay out.
I am in the Red Cross Library and am going back to the hut to hear Churchill at 3 oclock. I understand the President will be on the air at the same time but don't suppose we will hear him until the broadcast a recording of it. The King is on tonight at nine oclock. The Limey stores have been selling fireworks for 2 or 3 days. I have not heard any in a long time.
They say the towns are really decorate3d. I want to see them and make some pictures etc. but not today. It's raining for one thing and I don't want to get mixed up in that mob for another. Maybe I am too much a pessimist to celebrate much. There was a cartoon in the Stars & Stripes that fits me pretty good. Among hundreds of celebrating G.I.s one was sitting there reading a guide to Japan.
The mail is in. There were two letters from you, bot written 27 April. Mama is ahead of you for once with her letters. I already have her 1 May letter. Usually hers are behind yours.
A lot of fellows were picked for special guard duty to start as soon as V-E Day took effect. I think they will probably put the regular guards in town and put the extras here on the base. With this rain I am surely glad I didn't get into it.
There is a sign on the door of the R.C. saying "FREE FOOD. OPEN 24 HOURS."
I think I will just spend the night here instead of going to the hut. It's raining harder now and I was about ready to go over and listen to the radio. On second thought maybe I better not stay here all night even for free food. I would hate to be sick for the trip to the Pacific. The Stars & Stripes today had an article about taking a "sizeable force in the Pacific in 4 months. With a month for traveling that does not have much time.
I am back in the hut after the speech and now we are waiting for chow time. Heckman & I went to the Soda Shop and had a Coke and we could hear the bells etc. in town ringing. From the radio announcements London must really be having a "do." All of the squares etc. are packed with people. I suppose a big portion of them are "Yanks." I know the English will be glad when they have seen the last of the Yank uniforms. Some have already expressed such.
This morning I called the Chaplain to see if the church services would be today or tomorrow. He said he had to wait on the official announcement from headquarters and did not know himself. He wanted to have it today so I will go down that way about 7 oclock. If it is not tonight it will be in the morning at 11.
The headlines on the S. & S. were 3 3/4" high. I never saw any that big before.
"GERMANY QUITS."
I tried to get more than one copy and some English papers but couldn't. They were all gone early. I kept putting this down and then starting over again. No telling what it will sound like Anyhow I love you.
Love,
Hugh
No comments:
Post a Comment